jueves, 11 de marzo de 2021

1 MONOLOGUE FROM THE END OF THE WORLD

 


 

On one of those empty days, the Thecnetos sent with his Emissary a strange "letter", the first event in a rare series. Its inexplicable content briefly saved me from loneliness and silence; it was a pause in the constant banality of the world. Now that I understood everything, I feel exhausted to contemplate the very long road that all things have traveled to become.

 

Everything is too far away on the last planet, too deep in a vacuum. Nothing has happened in millions of years, nor does anything seem to happen now. How cold is its vastness! What ephemeral and volatile events in so long, in such a vast landscape!

The depth of the Ouranos[1] around it is exhaustingly extensive and its usual content is the perfect void. How strange it is to think the universe like this! An infinity of impeccable nothing. Perhaps it would be better to think that the universe is only this planet, and that, beyond its atmosphere, everything is "not being". That cosmos, time and space cease at its edges.

But it would not be correct. It was not always so. Before there were millions of stars and other shiny things floating in the Ouranos. But, after trillions of years of expansion of the universe, only this cold world remained. Between this and some hypothetical "other" there is now an insurmountable abyss, an endless space, impossible to be traveled; impossible even to be thought of. And if there were a "something" floating in some "other place", it could never reach us.

Because of this, our sky lacks stars or some form of external light. Only perhaps, here and there, some minimum brightness, like a blur in the impeccable blackness of the sky, that perhaps will be the blurred echo of the worlds already disappeared.

Only very rarely in this darkness, blacker than any previously known, does matter occur: solitary and mute. Foolishly, there is still matter instead of nothing.

But given the darkness that covers it, that matter is always sunk in invisible depths.

And it is that these times are for the cosmos like a sunset, but one in which the light does not go out, but the time. We are in the final stages of the expansion of the universe, an evanescent universe that is now approaching its last abyss. And it himself is the hole in that abyss. A universe so diluted and dispersed that it will not bring about a great change when at the end of its expansion, instead of it, nothing appears.

The landscapes, unaware of themselves, lack any spectator, organic or even mechanical. Nobody or nothing knows the different worlds that eventually appear and disappear in what we call "reality"; nothing interrupts stillness and silence. This is how lonely and still the last planet is and that's also how we are: the last human beings to populate it.

Yes, incredibly humans have survived the death of the cosmos and the fading of matter; we are lost in the cracks of an exhausted future. I don't know how this was possible when everything else died! That is why it is necessary to believe, although without any other proof than this, that there is the Thecnetos and its servant, the ever vigilant Emissary.

 I don't have a name and I don't know who I am, because only what makes sense or an explanation has a name. And I don't have it. It is rare that we are and it is rarer what we are: conscious things. How did our sensitivity arise from the insensitivity of our flesh? Nobody knows.

We are not born from other men; we are artificially made in the mechanical avernus[2] and more deeply I will say that we are born of random. Later I will relate my birth so that - using me as an example - you know how the last men born on the last planet.

Little remember of my birth, but I know that I am not an immortal: before a certain date, I was nothing. After my artificial conception, slowly, something without size or weight emerged from my brain. And in my flesh as unconscious as the stones, what we call "I" lit up. With the insensitive molecules of my body, as dead as the other molecules in the world, something alive was made - I don't know how - capable of feeling the passage of time. But not as a clock that only measures it without feeling it, but as a living consciousness that is itself the flow of time.

But those memories have already been erased or I confuse with what I guess will be my future. But I know that they are not completely lost: they are in the Thecnetos, in their memory and in their power of total premonition.



[1] In ancient Greek Ouranos is heaven or firmament.

[2] Underground world on the last planet.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario